Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tearing Down the Front End

I got started on pulling the front end off the car a few days ago. Taking my time to take pictures as I go so I can put it back together, and bagging and tagging all of the hardware. I'm finding a lot of dirt and a little bit of rust. Not too bad overall.

I had to pull the rocker moldings to get the fenders off, and when I did I found some rot at the rear corners. A little bit of work to do there, but not bad overall. Otherwise, everything is looking very clean and coming apart nicely. Almost the whole front clip is removed. Just need to finish pulling the inner wheelhouse from the passengers side. I'll get some pictures up probably tomorrow night showing everything apart.

When I pulled the passenger side fender last night I realized that the heater core is located under the fender and the only way to access it pull the fender, or pull the passenger side hinge support, and at that point, the hood too! Looks like I will be chasing down a heater core while I've got everything torn apart.

I may have to do a couple very small reinforcement repairs to the inner wheelhouse on the passengers side under the battery as well. The weld nuts have very minor damage in the surrounding metal that I will give a quick once over with the welder and grinder.

Will have more tomorrow night along with new pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment