Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Broken center console restoration started...

I dug into the console last night. Pretty much what I expected except for how many pieces were used to put this together. I am used to the mid-late '60s consoles out of the Fairlane, Torino, Mustang and Cougars which tend to be a bit more simple in design with parts like the glove box area bonded into the body of the console. Everything on this Galaxie console is fastened. Even a plastic center brace that keep the console base from spreading apart is a plastic strip that has been pop-riveted in place.



That being said, this is going to be a cool looking console when it is done. The trim up the sides is stainless and in nice shape. The hinges had very minimal corrosion, and the fasteners overall are in good shape.



Everything got an initial wash with strong batch of lemon Lysol to clean, disinfect, and remove any 40 year old odors. The parts aren't clean at this point, but the bulk of the dirt and grime are removed so I can see what I am working with. Tonight I will begin repairs to the damaged areas of the console. There are cracks in the exterior case at the front. No doubt these happened at removal. They are fresh and look like they happened when someone grabbed the front of the console and pulled to help breat it free from the carpet. This also split the affore-mentioned center cross brace, and probably split the reinforcing strip at the back of the console as well. Basically it almost split the console in half. But, this is all fixable.




Other repairs include reattaching a tab to the shifter insert that cracked off and fixing several smaller cracks around mounting points. It sounds bad, but it really isn't. Just a little more work.

At some point, something was mounted to the front glove box lid (tach?). Two bolts through the top and tightened into it permanently deformed the padded lid. At this point I don't think it is repairable, so I am going to keep it and keep my eyes open for another lid. Maybe I'll mount a tach there myself since I don't have one in the dash. Console mounted tachs from the factory aren't unheard of, and they keep the column looking clean as well, so definitely something to consider.




I am missing the rear ashtray assembly which I will either replace (anyone have a spare for sale?) or I will build an insert for the space and add a power port for the portable DVD player for the kids. The floor shifter also came with this as did the shifter "hump". Both need work, and the shifter arm underneath was cut off and I don't have the piece, so I'm not sure if I will look at converting to a floor-shifter or not, but I have most of what I would need if I decide to do it at some point in the future. That decision doesn't need to be made today, or even before the console is installed. In fact, I had planned originally to just modify an aftermarket cup holder to mount in the shifter slots, so I have options.

The side braces that attach by three pop-rivets each and one screw and sheet metal and need clean up as well. No surprise there. Everything is in very good condition relative to what I have seen from other parts cars. Anyhow, these will get a trip through the blast booth and then prime and gloss black paint. When done, they will look like new. Very minimal pitting and mostly on the underside!

Cleanup on the fasteners and hinges was started last night as well. I tossed them all in a rust remover that I get from O'Reilly's (formally Murray's). It runs about $23 for a gallon, but it is non-toxic, bio-degradable, safe for contact with your skin, and does not attack anything except iron oxide (rust) from what I have seen. I have had brass, chrome, aluminum, pot metal,, and plastic sit in a bath for several days without an issue. The area where rust is at will darken if left for long times, but can be cleaned up. I will check on everything tonight. Usually takes a little brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a second day in the rust dissolver to get things clean.

I should wrap the console up by the end of the week, assuming I can get out in the garage to work on things. Should have more either late tonight, or Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment