Thursday, February 23, 2012

Switching gears ...

Well, the prospect of up to a foot of snow over the next three days has forced me to clear the garage and bring the car back in, so I'm switching gears from the console and moving back into the engine compartment. Before doing so, I got about half of the cracks repaired and redyed 4 pieces of the console. They look great and the console base is feeling much more stable already.

Now I will be working of doing some detailing in the engine compartment. I'll be starting with removal of the old frame mounts for the engine. They were cut up and welded in place. Unfortunately, in the wrong place. They sit about 2" to far back to allow for clearance of the oil pan on the 429. I need to drop the trans as well to clean it up and then move it into the correct position.

After that, I need to clear and clean the engine compartment. LOTS of oil and grease in there from the previous owner's engine swap. They cut and welded up the oil pan to make it fit and did a poor job of it. It leaked like crazy.

I have a quart of Eastwood Products Extreme Chassis Black that I will be brushing on to the frame radiator support and inner fenders, and I have have there sealer/primer/rust converter that comes with a long tube so you can apply it inside of a close space like the frame (very cool product, by the way), but there is a lot of cleaning to be done first. All this is being done in preparation of getting the engine back in the car. With moving the engine forward, I'm afraid I may have to have some work done on the exhaust to get it to hook back up. Photos to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment