Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tearing Down the Front End - Part 2

I finished disassembling the front end tonight, and finished dropping the trans. The trans is filthy and I decided to pull it to clean it up, and make room so I could detail up in the trans hump.

Here is a pic of the latest.


Sure is a lot easier to get at stuff now! After getting everything removed, I went ahead and removed the old frame mounts that were welded in place. They are in the wrong spot and really needed to be removed. To make matters worse, he cut a chunk out of the frame so the oil pan would fit. I'll have to trim some stack and weld it back in to give it a bit more strength.






Next step is to start detailing all of the parts that were removed. I've already started on the hardware and am having good results using a product called EvapoRust from O'Reillys (and I'm sure others). I wash the parts and drop them in the solution. Two days later I pull them out, wipe down with a sponge and rinse, then toss back in the solution again for 1-2 more days. Rinse clean, and then hit them with Rust Fix giving them a black oxide finish. They need to be treated after final rinse because the will flash rust as they dry.

Here is a picture of some parts prior to being treated with the Rust Fix. They were complete covered in surface rust with only minimal scale. To eliminate scale rust, you need to crape, blast, or otherwise mechanically treat the metal before if will come completely clean.


Lots of detail work to do, but before anything goes back together, I need to work out the positioning of the new motor mounts. They are from a '69 T-Bird with a 429 and should allow me to get the engine positioned in the vehicle properly. Might get a chance this weekend to fit them, but we will have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment