Monday, March 12, 2012

You Need a Tool for That!

Pulled the suspension off the driver's side of the car today. Both ball joints felt loose, and the upper was torn up. Fortunately I'd already purchased new.

I drilled out the rivets for the upper and removed it. That takes some time and effort, but not too awful a job. The pivot bushings, on the other hand, will need a special tool. So, a quick Google search led me to one off Amazon that will allow me to pull and install new bushings, all for about $120. I have the new bushings already. The ones in the car don't look bad, but I really don't intend to have the upper control arm off again ... ever ... so now is the time to replace all things rubber. I should be able to use this same tool for doing the lower control arm bushings which is good because those are looking a little worse for wear. And when I do the Cobra suspension, I will be able to put it to good use once again.

The strut rod bushings are completely toasted and falling apart, so it will be good to get those replaced.

I also found a spot on the frame that will need a small repair. The metal around one of the radiator-to-frame mount points is swollen and a spot a little larger than a silver dollar will need to be cut out and replaced. The first and only frame repair that I am anticipating.

The next few days will be more disassembly and clean up. Sunday, my friend Paul will be coming over so we can test fit the engine to the frame. With a little luck it won't require much fabrication. We are starting with a set of motor mounts from a '69 T-Bird that had a 429 in it. The mounts fit the frame well, and the lower two mounting holes are in the same location, so I may just get lucky and have things fall right into place.

I guess we'll know more after Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have been very busy the last 6 weeks! Wow -- quite impressive. - Steph

    ReplyDelete