Sunday, March 18, 2012

Catching Things Up ...

Been pretty busy the last week. Had a birthday, went to Chicago to pick up some parts, wife was out of town a few days, and still managed to get some work done!

First thing I want to cover is the new tool for removing the bushings from the control arms. I got is this weekend and tried it out. According to the Amazon.com description, it is an “Alltrade 648604 Kit 25 Upper Control Arm Bushing Service Tool Set”, and it worked like magic on the upper control arm bushings. The lower control arm, on the other hand, ended up being bent in slightly. I still need to straighten it out.

I think that was probably my fault. Positioning the tool on the lower control arm was a bit awkward, and when I finally got everything seated squarely, there was some resistance as I tightened the clamp, but then it came free. Turns out the corner of the receiver wasn't supported as well as the rest of the contact points and the rest is history. I'll have to readjust when I do the other side.

In the meantime, did some sandblasting and refinished the original battery tray! Quite a bit of heavy rust, but it is all there. This will be a “pride” piece since I'm not building a show car, the pitted up, yet solid tray gets saved. =)

While I had the booth in operation I also blasted the metal sides mounts for the console, did the upper control arm and the pivot, and the rearward metal brace for the console (pop-rivets in place if memory serves me.)

I also have completed detailing the power steering box. It was filthy! Even after cleaning and degreasing while still on the car, there was stuff over 1/4" thick in places. I've also continued cleaning up the hardware for reinstallation, including the hardware for the pump, so it will be good to go once I have the front end detailed. Oh, and I cleaned up the power steering hoses and cooler, then repainted the cooler with gloss black lacquer paint. My understanding is you use "radiator" or lacquer paint when repainting a radiator as enamel will affect the ability of the radiator/cooler to transfer heat to the air efficiently.

That's about it for now. Time to get some stuff listed on eBay!

No comments:

Post a Comment