Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Finish coating with Eastwood Extreme Black and how to remove hood springs...

Got a day to work on the car and nice weather to boot, so I put a coat of Eastwood's Extreme chassis Black on the radiator support and DS inner wheel house. It brushed on smooth and the top side of the wheelhouse got sprayed from the rattle can and it went down well also.  They are now ready to go!


I also cleaned up the horns ...


And, I wanted to include a quick tip on removing the springs from the hood hinges. I always heard to use nails in between the coils of the springs. Basically you open the spring by "closing" the hinge. It takes a bit of muscle. Once you have it compressed, you drop in the nails (or hex wrenches in my case) to take up the space and then open the hinge back up.



 I blasted the entire assembly before removal of the spring. One the spring was removed, I painted the ends of the spring. I painted the rest of the hinge, and then reinstalled the spring. Last step was to mask the hinge and paint the spring in place. With this spring, it is always under tension and there is always room between the coils, so that was the best way to paint the springs. This won't be  a show car, but it will still look great when it is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment