Friday, May 25, 2012

It rolls again!

Well, I had a couple of days where I could throw some time at the car and the results speak for themselves. I have the suspension back on the car (except for the front sway bar) and the tires back on the ground.

It was a lot work. Following the shop manual to reinstall the springs, it turns out, is not possible unless you use a spring compressor, quite possibly my least-favorite automotive tool to use. But, once I conceded that it wasn't going back together with out one, it went fairly well.






The only hick-up is one of the shock absorber studs on the lower control arm snapped off on installation. I'm not suce what all is involved in the repair, but it is a little bit of a disappointment. to have to go back in and repaira part that I already restored. Oh well. Could have been much worse.

In addition to the above, the firewall is painted, harness is cleaned and retaped, and all vacuum hoses that were still on the car have been replace with new. Next up will be the sway bar and a couple of other small details up front, and then I need replace the rear springs. The gas line needs to be replaced as well, but I'm thinking I will be waiting until the engine is back in the car since I want to run it by the firewall rather than around the front of the engine.

Tomorrow, I roll it out and do some cleaning in the garage. More updates to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment